“Physical Literacy initiatives improve the quality of sports and physical activity in Canada through improved athlete training and better integration between all stakeholders in the sport system, including sport organizations, education, recreation and health.” – Sport for life Society
The Physical Literacy Coaches program is a free unique opportunity provided by Active Sudbury for all coaches who work with children during their physical literacy journey. The program offers great opportunities for coaches including:
- Learning from leaders in the field of physical literacy by participating in free workshops and online learning.
- Networking and collaborating with other physical literacy coaches.
- Receiving support from Active Sudbury and the Sport for Life Society to incorporate physical literacy within existing programming. This includes:
• implementing movement preparation
• physical literacy assessments
• implementing a physical literacy enriched environment (Quality Sport by Sport for Life)
How it works
Interested coaches and recreation providers who want to participate can email us at email@example.com or connect with us via our website activesudbury.ca. Once we receive your request we will then proceed to connect you with one of our available Physical Literacy Leaders in sport and recreation. This individual will be your primary contact/consultant in your team physical literacy journey.
Physical literacy movement preparation is movement that focuses on incorporating and improving fundamental movement skills and fundamental sport skills into activity. It prepares the body for movement and enhances the way you move for short-term and long-term benefits. Movement Preparation improves the way you move, which reduces the risk of injury during physical activity. It also teaches skills that will benefit participation in unfamiliar activities.
Movement preparation that is geared toward physical literacy – focusing on the techniques that improve and incorporate fundamental movement skills and fundamental sport skills – can also foster a more physically active and healthy lifestyle.
- Children become better movers and better athletes
- Children strengthen their bodies through increased participation in physical activity
- Children prepare their muscles for immediate activity and develop the skills and confidence to safely participate in unfamiliar activities
- Children acquire the skills, confidence, and motivation to overcome challenges.
Participating coaches will receive an agility ladder and cones to implement the program. This service is available at no cost until March 31, 2020 thanks to an Ontario Trillium Foundation Grow Grant.
Physical Literacy Assessments
The assessment of physical literacy should include more than just movement skills (movement repertoire and competence to move), it should assess additional domains, such as confidence, different environments, participation, comprehension, and motivation. The Sport for Life Society has developed several physical literacy assessments tools including PLAYbasic and PLAYfun. Active Sudbury can assist in assessing your athlete’s physical literacy at no cost to your organization.
Improving the quality of sport means more physically active kids and adults, holistically developed. Active Sudbury can assist your coaches in completing the Quality Sport Checklist as well as support your organization in achieving the elements that lead to quality sport experiences.